It’s that time of year again for blankets and candles, but remember that candles are a cause of home fires.
December is a peak time of the year for home candle fires. Candles are an open flame and can ignite anything that can burn.
Make sure you…
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
- Try flameless candles!
- Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily and keep holders on a sturdy/uncluttered surface.
- When lighting candles keep your hair and loose clothing clear of the flame.
- Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
- Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Avoid using candles.
- Never leave children alone in a room with a burning candle, matches or a lighter. And make sure to teach children about the dangers of fire.