- This event has passed.
Have a Safe And Sane Independence Day!
July 4, 2015
If you’re heading out to the great outdoors for this long holiday weekend, keep in mind these tips when building a campfire:
- Avoid building a campfire in hazardous or dry conditions.
- Listen to the campground rules and check with your local forest ranger about approved areas for campfires or needed fire permits.
- Be aware of low hanging branches and build the campfire at least 15 feet away from tent walls, shrubs, trees or other flammable objects.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a campfire.
- Start with dry twigs and small sticks when building a fire and add larger sticks as the fire builds up. Add the largest pieces of wood last, with them pointing toward the center of the fire.
- Use campground fire pit if available.
- Always keep a bucket of water and shovel nearby for safety.
- Create a Child Free Zone around the pit.
- Always supervise children when they are near the campfire.
- Never leave a fire unattended
- Always put out your campfire completely.