According to the US Fire Administration, cooking is the main cause of home fires and fire injuries. Keep your family safe by using common sense while cooking and by being prepared.
- Stay in the kitchen the entire time you are cooking
- Do not cook if your thought process is impaired
- Keep combustible items away from the stovetop
- Have a clear way out of the kitchen
- If your clothes catch fire stop, drop, and roll while covering your face
If you have a cooking fire, get out of your house and call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately. Keep a lid nearby when you are cooking to smother small grease fires and smother by sliding the lid over the pan and turning off the stovetop. Leave covered until it is cooled completely. For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep door closed.
To learn more about how to prevent with a kitchen fire, visit the National Fire Protection Association’s website at https://bit.ly/33LcVMQ.